Although this recipe uses oil, not butter, it makes spectacular, fluffy biscuits.
I have to admit; I did not appreciate biscuits until I was older. My children, however, love these biscuits!
Preheat oven to 400°
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar (optional – I usually do not use sugar unless making these for strawberry shortcake)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
Mix dry ingredients. Add milk and oil. Stir lightly with a fork until just moistened.
Let sit about 20 minutes, allowing baking powder time to work…this is the trick to fluffy biscuits. Drop by forkfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. (Makes 12 biscuits) Bake 15 minutes, or until golden.For Cheese Biscuits:
Add garlic powder and cheddar cheese to the dry ingredients before adding milk and oil.
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Bush on Top of Cheese Biscuit:
After baking, melt 2 tablespoons butter in the microwave. Stir in ½ teaspoon garlic powder and the ¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes and a pinch of salt. Brush garlic butter over the tops of biscuits, using all the butter. Makes 12 biscuits.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch salt